Sunday, May 8, 2011

Powering Up the Cabin

This isn't the first time I've stayed at our cabin, so I had powered it up, at least partially before.  Usually, I fire up the generator to charge up the batteries so that they are topped off before I leave.  This time, though, it is getting powered up all the way.  Electric, gas, and water systems will all be put to use.

As expected, the electrical system worked as well as it always had.  The battery capacity was down a little, but that was expected since they were untended for over a year.  They did keep their charge pretty well though since my last visit six months ago.

When I tried to fill up the water tank, I ran into my first problem.  The instructions in the equipment room say to plug the well pump power cord into the generator and water will automatically flow into the storage tank.  Well, no water flowed.  I was able to get the water to come out of a faucet at the well, though, so I knew the pump was working.  After piddling for an hour or so, I broke down, went to Walmart and got two 90-foot garden hoses (which I'd need for the garden anyway) and used them to fill up the indoor water tank. I added a cap full of bleach to the tank while it was filling to kill most of what might have made it into the tank.

I flipped the switch to the pressurization pump and heard a lot of noise, but there was never any water pressure.  It turns out the pressurization pump was disconnected from the water pipes.  After attaching the pipes, I flipped the switch again, and this time I saw a puddle forming at the base of the toilet. I had another stroke of luck, and was able to remove the valve and reassemble it and get a working valve.  (One less trip down the mountain!) We can now flush toilets and wash our hands.

After working fine for a few days, I noticed one morning that the generator was leaking gasoline at the fuel valve. I'm not sure why this leak sprung all of a sudden, but my most plausible theory is that some ethanol in the fuel may have caused an o-ring in the valve to deteriorate.  Even as I was filling my 5-gallon jugs, I was thinking I should have pumped the first gallon or so into the car just in case the guy before me bought fuel with ethanol in it. This lack of a generator was a major deal only because it is currently our only source of power. Fortunately, our batteries can last us about two days if we conserve electricity.

It took most of a day to find all the parts I needed to make the repair, but in  the process I went to almost all of the parts stores in town.  If I ever need parts again, I think I'll know who has what.  This experience even had us going to the local solar power store to see about getting solar power.  We'll be putting in a solar system for sure, even if it is a small one.  I ended up spending half a day giving the generator a tune-up while I was taking it apart.

Before turning on the hot water heater, I took a look to make sure everything appeared to be normal.  The water heater, a tankless model, was out for repair during the home inspection, so I wanted to see if it was at least re-installed.  Well it was, but I noticed a gaping hole in the hot water pipe coming out of the heater.

There was a gaping hole in the hot water outlet pipe.

Turning on the gas was as easy as turning a knob.  Our refrigerator, stove (see this post), and hot water heater run off of propane.  The refrigerator needed some cleaning and routine maintenance, but nothing too difficult, especially after the other repairs I had been doing this last week.

It's time for a good night's sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment