Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Exploring

Every now and then, I like to look around the property and see if I find anything interesting. Usually I find another car part, or a fresh pile of moose dung or such. There is a tree next to the drive that looks like it has been laying there for a few years. I thought it might be good for firewood. As I was looking for a way to support it while I cut it, I noticed something I hadn't seen before.

The entrance to a hidden room that I found on our property

Could this be what I think it is? Or is it something totally different? One of the things I would like to do when I get the chance is to build a root cellar. One of the few places I could do this relatively easily is in the side of the hill created when the earth was moved to put in the driveway. So in this general vicinity is where I would have tried to put in a root cellar. Maybe the hard work was already done for me! Or better yet, maybe it's a secret vault filled with treasure. I knew the chances were slim, but wouldn't that be nice?

Upon taking a peek inside, I saw some glass jars and jumped to the conclusion that my first impression was correct: this is probably a root cellar. After sticking my helmeted head inside and taking a look around, I found reason for disappointment. There were more paint cans than there were food jars. Perhaps this is a toxic waste dump of some sort. (It's probably not that bad.) Furthermore, the roof had collapsed. I figure that it probably collapsed when the tree I was about to cut up fell on it.

This is not exactly what I was hoping to find

In the near future, I plan to investigate further whether this cellar can be safely repaired and used. If the roof hadn't collapsed, it would be about three to four feet above the floor. The room was probably about six feet or so by about four feet or so. It's certainly not a large area, but it is a start. I can't wait to see what the possibilities are.

We have an unfinished pole barn on our property. A robin has been trying to build a nest at various inappropriate places on our house, and after being harassed by us, finally built a nest in the barn. As I was retrieving something from the barn, I heard a whole lot of tweeting going on. I looked up to see three mouths expecting food.
Some robins nesting in our barn
I can't imagine ever having this kind of fun in the city. With every new day at our country home, I am enjoying it more and more.


No comments:

Post a Comment